Primarily known as a residential, multi-family, and commercial development company, Corner Lot has further expanded its urban-focused portfolio with the acquisition of the historic River House overlooking the St. Johns River as part of an initiative to preserve and protect some of Jacksonville’s most historic structures.
Located at 2105 River Boulevard, the River House has served as a hotel, a private residence, and an apartment building. It also once famously hosted Mary Todd Lincoln for an extended period between 1874 and 1875. Originally called the Rochester House, it was constructed in approximately 1869 near the intersection of Leila Street and Riverside Avenue.
“When we learned the River House was available it was an easy decision for us to add it to the Corner Lot portfolio,” said Andy Allen, Corner Lot CEO. “It gave us the opportunity to preserve another chapter of Jacksonville’s history while also allowing it to remain a functional component of the Riverside community.”
The structure was moved from its original location to its current home on River Street via a barge trip down the St. Johns River in 1911. The River House is located directly across the street from Corner Lot’s corporate headquarters at 1819 Goodwin Street. Also a historic structure, the Goodwin House was renovated and preserved by Corner Lot when it was purchased in 2020. In addition to the River House, Corner Lot is in the process of renovating and preserving the historic Jones Brothers Building on Hogan Street, the City of South Jacksonville building at 1001 Kings Avenue, and the structure located on the corner of 1st and Main in Springfield.